Thursday, October 28, 2010

Media Education

I am an English Literature Major. As such I have been often in the pool where I am encouraging my siblings and those around me to read more instead of watch television or play video games.

What I do really agree with is that there is a "special literacy" for media that people talk about and are expected to know. I was up at Standford with a friend and did not understand half the jokes and conversations. Later my friend showed me an assortment of around 6 YouTube videos that made sense of all those jokes. Therefore this is a very real "literacy" to me.

I am actually really struggling with this book because it makes sense, but I think I do have more of the mind set that classical literature is more nourishing to the mind.

I am looking forward to the end of this book and hearing how this literacy education should work out according to the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment