Thursday, September 30, 2010

He's a TRICKSTER!



Anyone that really knows me will tell you that I absolutely love games. Board games, card games, sports, etc. I play them all. What I love is the strategy involved. My mind is actively at work to win the game and be creative about it. If I employ a trick, it is within the rules of the game. When I first read the trickster stories that I going through with my group I really did not think that I had anything in common with the characters I was reading about. They were often so morally depraved and they took from the rich and poor alike to achieve their own selfish needs. Trying to look at their tricks the way I utilize them I realized that the full extent of their trickery knows no bounds, because their rules are survival, pride, and pleasure. These conditions must be met for them to be fulfilled even be it dangerous, unlikely, foolish, or immoral. I have tried but I cannot pity them. I can understand them. They truly do ring the all to familiar bells of selfishness and pride within man. There is one trickster that particularly intrigues me.

Though not always tricksters, for the most part, are skilled at their art. Employing a number of strategies and ruses. The most skilled at this is Loki. He is the trickster that I most connect with because he is the one that ,usually, employs the most intricate schemes and strategies. It is because his motivation is not food, or survival, but power. Looking at this from a class struggle position he is possibly the least relateable to the common man. Yet, it is his difference that excites interest. His hunger for power and domination are unique among tricksters, his human nature is all to familiar among man.





No comments:

Post a Comment