Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Poem and its Meaning


Thinking about poetry this week I was reminded of this poem that I had done two years ago. This is a piece of Riddled Poetry as I like to call it. It was my attempt to write about something that I had seen but really make it a difficult riddle as well. We were talking a lot last week about how poetry and its meaning is so subjective. I think this was evidenced most to me now looking back on it, when I think of this poem. Riddles by their nature have a specific answer to them. Poems on the other hand are known for their ability to have a multiplicity of meaning. I had a specific thing in mind as the answer to this riddle yet when others read my poem they had answers that were so convincing that I was tempted a few times to change my "answer"! Now, I wanted to share this with anyone that happens to come by and see what your answers are. I am sure that I will be just as surprised when I hear your answers.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts and answers.

A Fall to Life

As violence forms my outer being,
Life is captured in my womb.
Twisting, churning, ever clinging,
What gives me life will be my tomb.
I babble on in search of meaning,
The gift I give will till death fume.
As life whirls by solace springing,
A world around me comes to bloom.
In death I ask to all yet breathing,
Whom am I and I am whom?

No comments:

Post a Comment