Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Be Honest

If I were to be honest with you I would tell you that although I am enjoying every class and extracurricular activity I have this semester, I am spread thin. What has been hitting me is that there are so many people, like myself last semester, who are taking things easy and fittering their days away. I began to question whether or not I should have taken as much on my plate as I have. However, in the presence of all the added work I was challenged to do even more. What I really noticed was that I had a desire to continue writing a number of stories I had started, yet now I was filling even more of that "free" time on my calendar.

It was in this moment that the poem, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost was really an encouragement. Reading the words,

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
and sorry I could not travel both,
And be one traveler long I stood,
And looked down one as far as I could,
To were it bent in the under growth...
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference."1

I know that although I may look down that road filled with free time, board games, and fantasy fiction, I am going to enjoy my road and accomplish much that is rewarding. Thinking along this train of thought I got a laugh at a Youtube video by Pomplamoose someone showed me. It also was an encouragement to the work I was setting myself too.


These artists used their music to show the importance of spending our time wisely in dreaming and creating. Their own video and word creativity is wonderful. I hope you enjoyed the video and are motivated to tackle those ideas and dreams that you might have put on hold. Life truly gets dull when we stop dreaming.

Jonathan Polus

1 Frost, Robert. "The Road Not Taken" 100 Best Loved Poems. Ed. Philip Smith. New York: Dover Publications, 1995. 84. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment