Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Number 1 Killer of People Today: Death

So read the news flash,

The lilith on the screen.

She smiles at me calling out,

My Dow Jones countdown: come, with, me.

Her eyes become the world,

smooth words our magic carpet.

The journey set, my haven left,

tour de désespoir begun.

China, France, England, Rome,

Kenya, Poland, U, S, A.

Heartless, Hopeless, Homeless,

...

This poem began in our class room workshop. In my four years at California State University Northridge I have not actually had a class where I was asked to write creatively in the moment. It was actually enjoyable, although I will say that I realized I have to have a topic that I am passionate about. I started out thinking about our title and the idea of death. It was not at all interesting and I did not know what to do with it. It was only when I was able to relate the issue to something that was more ethereal and fictional that I began to enjoy myself. The ability to relate the topic to the politics that I had been mauling over all day, and then frame the story in the world of fantasy fiction with a Lilith and Magic Carpet made it interesting. Poetry here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment